- The AARP Public Policy Institute writes about how Dr. Shireen Lewis’ initial idea grew into the community that SisterMentors is today. Click Here to read the article.
- Just Asking: Shireen Lewis Washington Post Magazine, April, 2013 Click here to read the article.
- SisterMentors in ESSENCE Magazine, January 2010. Click here to read pdf version of the article.
- SisterMentors featured in the Fall 2009 edition of UVA Lawyer magazine of The University of Virginia School of Law. Click here to read a pdf version of the article.
- SisterMentors was featured in the March 2007 issue of Inside Higher Ed. Click here to read a pdf version of the article.
- In January 2003 SisterMentors was featured in DIVAS, a magazine for women of color, published in Paris, France. DIVAS is distributed in France, the United States, Martinique, and Guadeloupe. You can read the article in both English and French.
- The August 2002 issue of ESSENCE lists organizations nation-wide that empower girls by addressing the areas of education, leadership and self-esteem, health and fitness, politics and activism, entrepreneurship, vocations and careers, and the arts. SisterMentors is highlighted for its mentoring of middle and high school girls of color, instilling in them the benefits of staying in school. (page 129)
- SisterMentors, Washington Woman, February 2001
- Reinventing Community: SisterMentors Dissertation Support Groups For Women Of Color, Metro Connection, January 2001
- Women of Color Mentoring Each Other, AAUW Network, Winter 2000
- Dissertation Writers Find Power in Numbers – Group Support Keeps Them on Doctoral Track, Washington Times, September 2000
- In June/July 2000, SisterMentors’ founder, Dr. Shireen Lewis, was declared a “Woman to Watch” by Ms. Magazine. Ms. is described by its editors as “the first national magazine to make feminist voices audible, feminist journalism tenable, and a feminist worldview available to the public.” R. Erica Doyle, who wrote the piece in Ms., describes Dr. Lewis’ creation of SisterMentors as “her antidote to the academy’s chronic undervaluing of scholarship by and about women of color.” Click here for the full article.
- Replicating Ourselves In the Twentieth and Twenty-first Centuries, Black Issues in Higher Education, December 1999
- The Washington Post Magazine Just Asking. Read full interview.
- District of Columbia City Council Honors SisterMentors, Read press release.
- Dr. Shireen Lewis to Receive Award from Ebony Magazine for SisterMentors Program, August, 2009. Click here to read more.
- Tibetan Woman Makes History as One of First in West to Earn Doctorate, March, 2006. Click here to read more.
- Leader of D.C. Nonprofit Honored by College for Distinguished Achievement, May, 2005. Click here to read more.